Announcements: Week of Sept 19, 2023 (2023/09/19)
Again welcome back everyone and welcome to our new cadets and families!!
Returning cadets if you weren’t able to make it to annual validation night, no worries validations can be done upon your return. (Note validations must be completed before you can participate in training activities)
New cadets our website is the best place to ensure accurate and up to date information on training activities. Make sure to check here at least once a week.
- Thursday Sept 21, 2023
- New cadets who were issued FTU’s that need to exchange sizes CV Vogelesang will be at the Armouries for exchanges starting at 1800hrs. Please arrive at that time so we can get through cadets as quickly as possible.
- Saturday/Sunday Sept 23-24, 2023
- Fall Field Training Exercise – Senior cadets will be meeting at the FTX site Friday evening at 1800hrs. Junior Cadets will be meeting at the D-Coy Armouries Saturday morning for 0800hrs and will be bussed to the location. Expected return to the D-Coy on Sunday is 1600hrs.
- Please see the attached letter (Fall FTX Letter 2023) for FTX details. As well as a kit list (FTX Kit List) for the weekend and (Sign-Up) sheet to give us numbers for the weekend. All cadets welcome, and if attending please use the sign up form attached to ensure you are attending. Cadets with incomplete annual validation paperwork will not be allowed to attend until it is complete.
- Tuesday Sept 26, 2023
- Regular Training – 1830-2130hrs at D-Coy Armouries. Dress will be FTU (Order of Dress) for returning cadets. If your uniform does not fit or you have not been issued a uniform yet please wear appropriate civilian attire.
- No other optional training this week. No Drill Monday, No Biathlon this weekend (biathlon cadets start your own at home cardio training).
- Sept 23-24 – Fall Field Training Exercise (FTX)(All cadets)
- Oct 5 – Survivair Starts (Open to all cadets)
- Oct 17 – Wings Parade (Tuesday night, ceremonial parade)
- Oct 28 or 29 (TBD) – Biathlon Zone Competition (Closed to only biathlon team)
- Nov 28 – Meet and Greet Potluck (All cadets and immediate families)
SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE:
- Air Cadet League of Alberta Cash Calendars are available again this year for fundraising. Calendars will be available for pick-up at the beginning and end of Tuesday night training.
- Every first Tuesday of the month is a Parent/ SSC Board Meeting @ 630pm at the Armouries. Next meeting Oct 3, 2023
This message is aimed at those cadets interested in pursuing their glider or private pilot licence. The Sqn will start a Ground School in the next few weeks. The actual start date will be announced on parade and communicated here. Ground School is opened to a limited number of cadets, 15 years of age or over. The age threshold may drop to 14 if there is enough space. Note that this is Sqn specific. For those old enough you will also be enrolled in Online Ground School (OGS).
Please complete the Ground School Registration form. The Sqn staff will use this information to register you (if you meet the age minimums) for the OGS serial in Fortress. Note that you must complete the OGS to be considered for either the GPTC or PPTC next summer.
While you are waiting for the national OGS to start, use the link below to study for the Rules of the Air section of the exam. It is an excellent Canadian resource by a flying instructor out of BC.
Improved PSTAR Study Guide – Robyn’s Flying Start
Any questions regarding OGS or the Sqn Ground School can be directed to Sqn Staff.
- Parents you are highly encouraged to come into the armouries during closing announcements/parade. That way you can hear all the information directly! We normally start them around 915pm.
- Please pass along where the weekly announcements are located to new cadets and parents.
- Welcome to all our new cadets and families!! If at all throughout the year you have questions reach out your senior cadets or staff. Information about events, dates, and activities is always posted to our website 577aircadets.ca and Microsoft Teams (new cadets will get access in the coming days). Please check these places first for information before asking questions, they will likely answer them for you and eases the number of questions are staff handle (We do all work full time jobs outside of cadets).