Announcements: Week of Sept 26, 2023 (Updated 2023/09/29)
Returning cadets if you weren’t able to make it to annual validation night, no worries validations can be done upon your return. (Note validations must be completed before you can participate in training activities)
New cadets our website is the best place to ensure accurate and up to date information on training activities. Make sure to check here at least once a week.
- Saturday Sept 30, 2023
- Biathlon Practice – 1000-1200hrs at D-Coy Armouries. Civilian attire, dress for the weather and fitness activities.
- Sunday Oct 1, 2023
- Band Rehearsal – 1300-1500hrs at D-Coy Armouries in civilian attire. All cadets are welcome.
- Monday Oct 2, 2023
- Drill Team practice/Tryouts – 1700-1900hrs at D-Coy Armouries in Civilian attire. Cadets not yet signed up for tryouts that are interested please talk to CI Finlayson.
- Tuesday Oct 3, 2023
- Regular Training – 1830-2130hrs at D-Coy Armouries. Dress will be C3 Orders of Dress Reference. If your uniform does not fit or you have not been issued a uniform yet please wear appropriate civilian attire.
- Oct 5 – Survivair Starts (Open to all cadets)
- Oct 14 – Leadership Seminars (Open to Lvl 3 and up cadets, discuss with Lt McGee)
- Oct 17 – Wings Parade (Tuesday night, ceremonial parade)
- Oct 28 or 29 (TBD) – Biathlon Zone Competition (Closed to only biathlon team)
- Nov 28 – Meet and Greet Potluck (All cadets and immediate families)
SQUADRON SPONSORING COMMITTEE:
- Air Cadet League of Alberta Cash Calendars are available again this year for fundraising. Calendars will be available for pick-up at the beginning and end of Tuesday night training.
- Every first Tuesday of the month is a Parent/ SSC Board Meeting @ 630pm at the Armouries. Next meeting Oct 3, 2023
This message is aimed at those cadets interested in pursuing their glider or private pilot licence. The Sqn will start a Ground School in the next few weeks. The actual start date will be announced on parade and communicated here. Ground School is opened to a limited number of cadets, 15 years of age or over. The age threshold may drop to 14 if there is enough space. Note that this is Sqn specific. For those old enough you will also be enrolled in Online Ground School (OGS).
Please complete the Ground School Registration form. The Sqn staff will use this information to register you (if you meet the age minimums) for the OGS serial in Fortress. Note that you must complete the OGS to be considered for either the GPTC or PPTC next summer.
While you are waiting for the national OGS to start, use the link below to study for the Rules of the Air section of the exam. It is an excellent Canadian resource by a flying instructor out of BC.
Improved PSTAR Study Guide – Robyn’s Flying Start
Any questions regarding OGS or the Sqn Ground School can be directed to Sqn Staff.
We’re proud to announce that we’ve been chosen as the September 2023 receipient for the Bottle Donation Program partnership with Aquatera Utilities Inc. and Recycle Plus!
This amazing program accepts bottles and cans specifically for the purpose of giving back to our community. Items can be donated at the Aquatera Eco Centre, the Aquatera Landfill, or at either of the Recycle Plus I and Recycle Plus II bottle depots. It’s so easy, you don’t even have to wait in line! You can just drop your items in the Aquatera Bottle Donation Bin and be on your way, knowing that your quick trip has made a wonderful impact on our community.
- Parents you are highly encouraged to come into the armouries during closing announcements/parade. That way you can hear all the information directly! We normally start them around 915pm.
- Please pass along where the weekly announcements are located to new cadets and parents.
- Welcome to all our new cadets and families!! If at all throughout the year you have questions reach out your senior cadets or staff. Information about events, dates, and activities is always posted to our website 577aircadets.ca and Microsoft Teams (new cadets will get access in the coming days). Please check these places first for information before asking questions, they will likely answer them for you and eases the number of questions are staff handle (We do all work full time jobs outside of cadets).